At Novamar "It's About You, Our Client"
Novamar insurance loading logo


Published Date: Jun 21, 2023

We would like to remind you that you are required to have a boating license while you are navigating your boat in Mexican waters. Every boat owner, operator, and captain at the helm of a vessel must have a valid boating license that states you are qualified to operate the vessel. If you have a foreign flagged vessel in Mexican waters then you must have the proper operating license issued by the state or country where you registered your vessel. EVEN IF A BOATING LICENSE IS NOT REQUIRED IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY.

Mexican citizens operating vessels in Mexican waters must have a “Libreta de Mar” license issued by the Mexican government’s Secretaría de Marina through its Unidad de Capitanías de Puerto y Asuntos Marítimos (UNICAPAM).

The Mexican authorities will likely ask for a copy of a boating license if you are involved in an accident aboard your boat. Plus the Mexican insurance companies require this license in order to pay claims.

Via this link you will find more information where you can obtain a boating license online in the United States and Canada.

Written by Craig Chamberlain of Novamar